Sedation Dentistry & General Anesthesia
Sedation Options in Wheat Ridge, CO
For many people, going to the dentist can be an overwhelming task. Whether you’re in need of having a complex dental procedure performed or you experience anxiety undergoing a routine dental treatment, the friendly team at Reclaim Dentistry is here to ensure your dental appointments are as smooth and comfortable as possible.
With the help of sedation dentistry, you can receive the dental care you need while feeling relaxed and pain-free. Before scheduling your next appointment with Dr. Schwandt, here’s what you should know about how sedation dentistry could benefit you.
What is Sedation?
Sedation dentistry entails using anesthetics for dental procedures to be performed safely and comfortably. Being sedated during your dental appointment can provide a variety of benefits to patients, young and old. These include:
- Alleviating anxiety and fear
- Helping you feel calm and at ease
- Ensuring you don’t experience any pain
- Erasing your memory of your dental procedure
Why Would Someone Need To Be Sedated?
If you’re concerned about the pain, sounds, or experience of having your mouth worked on at the dentist, sedated dentistry may be a good option. Sedation dentistry can be used for a variety of reasons. You may be interested in taking advantage of sedation dentistry if you experience one or more of the following:
- Anxiety or fear associated with the dentist
- Difficulty staying still during dental treatments
- A low pain tolerance
Sedation-enhanced dental care allows you to leave your appointment calm and comfortable while taking the necessary steps to protect your oral health.
What Sedation Options Are Available at Reclaim Dentistry?
If you’re worried about being sedated at the dentist, the good news is that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to sedation dentistry. At Reclaim Dentistry, we’re proud to offer multiple sedation options to meet your particular needs. These include:
- Anxiolysis and Nitrous Oxide: This treats mild to moderate anxiety. Also known as “laughing gas,” this sedative is inhaled and has a quick recovery time, making it possible to resume normal activities immediately after dental treatment.
- Oral Sedation: This requires taking a pill orally one hour before your appointment. It’s very effective at helping you feel calm while still being alert during your procedure; it does stay in your system longer, which means someone must drive you home.
- IV Sedation: This is used to treat moderate to severe anxiety. It works quickly and effectively by administering medication through an IV, allowing you to stay awake during your procedure while staying relaxed and not remembering anything when it’s over.
- General Anesthesia: This is used for complex dental procedures or for individuals with severe anxiety. It’s given through an IV and will make sure you don’t feel or remember anything at all. It will require someone to drive you home, and you will avoid normal activities until the medication has left your system completely.
If you’ve been putting off going to the dentist due to fear or anxiety, you’re not alone. Fortunately, Dr. Schwandt and his compassionate team are here for you. With the help of sedation dentistry, you can receive necessary dental care safely and comfortably. At Reclaim Dentistry, we’re proud to provide an array of modern sedation dental services to meet your particular oral health needs. Don’t put off having your teeth cared for any longer. Contact us today to schedule your appointment to learn more about how sedation dentistry could benefit you. We can’t wait to show you how easy, comfortable, and pain-free going to the dentist can be!