Safe Amalgam Removal / Biocompatible, Non-Toxic Composite Fillings
For toxicity, structural and esthetic concerns, it’s advisable to replace silver amalgam fillings with modern, biocompatible, tooth-colored composite materials. Safe amalgam removal is a meticulous process that minimizes exposure to toxic mercury, which comprises around 50% of silver amalgam fillings. All silver amalgam restorations contain about 50% mercury, and reports and research are consistent that these fillings emit mercury vapors upon brushing and chewing.
At Reclaim Dentistry, we strongly encourage our patients to undergo safe amalgam removal and opt for biocompatible, non-toxic composite fillings. These materials are body-safe and free from harmful substances, providing a healthier and more natural dental solution. Additionally, replacing silver fillings with bonded composite restorations can enhance tooth strength and durability, reducing the need for more extensive procedures like crowns and preventing tooth trauma that may lead to root canals or extractions.
- Reduced Use of Harmful Materials: Reduces the risk of potential health complications associated with mercury exposure (like allergic reactions or sensitivities), providing a safer and more environmentally friendly dental restoration option.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: Composite fillings closely match the color and appearance of natural teeth.
- Maintain Healthy Tooth Structure: Requires less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to traditional amalgam fillings.
- Durability: Bonds securely to the tooth, increasing its longevity and stability.
- Reduced Tooth Sensitivity: Reduces the risk of temperature-related tooth sensitivity often experienced with metal fillings.
- Holistic Approach: Supports a holistic approach to oral and systemic health by avoiding toxic materials in dental treatments.
We like to ensure our patients enjoy their visit with us and are satisfied with their treatment. Please inquire with our doctor about the possibility of creating a custom-shaped dental filling. For example, we recently applied a filling in the shape of a heart for one of our patients.